Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Learning Styles Continued (M3)

Pragmatist people like to experiment with new ideas with practical application. They are down to earth, problem solvers. They are always keen to test things in practice and by getting straight to the point they are realistic thinkers. However pragmatic learners have a tendency to reject ideas and views without obvious application. They also are not very interested in theory or basic principles.

Activists are enthusiastic people who like to get stuck in and jump in at the deep end, looking for new experiences. They are open-minded and happy to have a go at anything without resisting change. They like to take the limelight and rush in to things without looking at other options or risks.

Reflectors are people that like to think about things, they are good listeners and rarely jump to conclusions. They are careful, thorough and methodical but are likely to procrastinate and hold back from direct participation leading to them being too cautious and slow to make decisions.

Theorists are logical thinkers with a disciplined approach; they are rational and objective and are usually perfectionists. They also have a low tolerance for uncertainty or disorder and are restricted in lateral thinking.

I have made a word search (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0eZg-JfH0HQUmowTlhPX212cWc/edit?usp=sharing) with a few of the key words from each learning style. This will help me and others think about the traits of each learning style allowing them to see which criteria they best fit.


When researching for myself to find out what learning style I am I found that I didn't really fit into any one learning style. To elaborate I feel I fit into the reflector learning style as I procrastinate a lot however I also like to take control of tasks and group activities and jump straight into things. I enjoy talking and listening to people’s ideas and views. But I also feel I need to understand a theory or science of why things happen and how to do things. So in conclusion I feel I cannot categorize myself into any one learning style and I don’t think I am the only person who feels like this, I think everyone has many traits from each style meaning no one is limited to these types of learning styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment